stopping my server from spamming

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Mon Jan 8 15:53:27 UTC 2007

> > This is more of a question geared towards your mail server application than FreeBSD. You should check your mail logs. If you want better advise, you may want to provide more information on what mail server are you running, and what did you do to prevent SMTP relay.
>
> I am using sendmail. It will not allow open relaying. What I would
> like to know is
> how I can separate legitimate emails in the log from spam. All that
> appears is the from:
> <email> and the to:<email>.

Look at one of the spam emails and review the headers to see how it's
getting delivered.

> In the past I have seen separate SMTP servers installed by viruses on
> windows boxes
> which are spamming away -independent- of sendmail. I have blocked port
> 25 from all
> my connected windows boxes, but will that take care of it?

Who knows.  You first have to determine how the problem is occurring.  The
block you've implemented is a good idea -- I think everyone should do it
as a matter of course, but there's no guarantee that it will fix your
particular problem until you know what that problem is.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.