no ath0 on new system with good card

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Sun Jan 7 15:54:57 UTC 2007

Apologies on not hitting the list.  Alyays forget to reply-all.

So, I figured I'd try to fix the safe-mode end of things on my own, and I
found a post several years old (looked like it even could have been yours)
about safemode, which doesn't show up anywhere on the freebsd site.  So I
did what it said and grep'd boot/beastie.4th for safemode, which came up
with this suprisingly total solution:

add apic.0.disabled="1" to boot/device.hints.  Not only does my system come
up in regular boot mode, but, as you suspected, the pccard works too, so all
appears well.

I'm sorry for the confusion - origonally, I was running i386/6.1 on the
system which booted normially if the serial ports (sio) were disabled.
Halfway thru the conversation, I realized I could upgrade to amd64/6.1,
which would only boot safemode, even with sio disabled.

So my final question, what in all the land is an "apic", and why isn't apic
or safemode mentioned in the handbook, manpages, or even on the freebsd
site?  Further, I'd like to write a handbook page on "freebsd and laptops",
because we're on my third one here now, and I'm starting to get the drift of
what could usefully be added to the handbook, namely a thourough discussion
of booting and device.hints.  I presume someone 'peer-reviews' handbook
submissions for correctness and format?  I recall reading somewhere about
contributing, but I get the impression you are involved enough to tell me
whether it's a bad idea or not.

Thanks again,
Steve

--