question

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Jan 4 16:34:41 UTC 2007

Please don't top-post, and please don't override my mail-header
directions to post back to the list.

Juan Ortega <replay at sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 13:38:00 -0500
>> From: Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org>
>> To: Juan Ortega <replay at sdf.lonestar.org>
>> Cc: questions at freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: question
>>
>> Juan Ortega <replay at sdf.lonestar.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi, I installed freeBSD 6.1-RELEASE on my Compaq ADM4, and when I
>>> input the command, "Xorg -configure", theres some errors:
>>>
>>> dlopen: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/newport_drv.so: Undefined
>>> symbol "XAAFall back0ps"
>>> (EE) Failed to load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/newport_drv.so
>>> (EE) Failed to load module "newport" (loader failed, 7)
>>> (++) Using config file: /root/xorg.conf.new
>>>

>>> I dont know whats wrong with it, I installed Xorg and its libraries
>>> but for some reason it cant find the modules, any help?
>>
>> That module isn't supposed to be installed, anyway.
>> How did it get into your configuration file?
>>

> replay at sdf.lonestar.org
>

> After a few tries I installed freeBSD 6.2-RC2
> the same errors came up but I got window maker working
> the only problem is that when I press Alt+Ctrl+backspace
> it just freezes, it used to go back to the shell but it dosent
> if their not supposed to load, do I remove them from the
> Xorg Configuration file? to fix it

Well, yes, if you don't want a module to load, pulling it out of the
config file would be a good idea.  But as I said before, the question
would be how it got into the config file in the first place.  How did
you create the config file?  [Many systems work fine with no xorg.conf
at all.]