will it work?

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Thu Jan 4 08:22:51 PST 2007

X X wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to have a home server on my network. I have a
> pc with AMD Athlon xp 2200+ processor, 1gb ddr ram, 2-
> 500gb hard drives, 10/100 lan. I need it to serve
> files to 5 computers. It has to allow remote access
> from outside the network by administrator. It has to
> allow me to serve 2 websites. It has to be a ftp
> server. It needs to work with both windows and macs on
> the network. It has to have the ability to run
> automated backups to either internal hd (like raid
> mirroring) or usb external hd. It will be connected to
> the home network by wired ethernet. It will NOT have
> to dhcp (router does that). Is there a way to set up
> freebsd to work as this type of server?
> Thank you

The short answer; would be: yes. If your question was to ask how, that's
where the long answer would come in as FreeBSD alone will not accomplish
what you are asking for. You'll need several applications to run within
FreeBSD to accomplish what you're asking, for example: Apache (for
serving websites), Samba (for internal filesharing to windows),
rsync/tar/dump/etc for syncing files to a backup drive (depends on how
you intend to backup - but generally speaking dump rules).

I'd suggest you do some reading ahead of time, spec out what you want to
accomplish and HOW you would prefer to do it, then ask any further
questions as you come along. You should also read:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/ -
It details HOW to get the best results from emailing this list. Your
initial email titled 'will it work' is rather vague, and may be skipped
over by many who could have answered your question.

Good luck, sounds like a decent project to start off learning to run
FreeBSD with ;)

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com