vpn client (pptp) inside a jail

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at teledomenet.gr
Thu Jan 4 03:52:39 PST 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 02:19, Andras GELANYI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In a case when a pptp client is running a jail would be great. But in my
> opinion it is not possible because of the lack of special interfaces and
> facilities (eg. GRE) in jails.

You want to initiate the tunnel from within the jail? I think that's
not possible not only for pptp, but for all interface types inside a
jail(perhaps I am wrong, have no jail experience, but I think that's
an essential jail feature(not able to mess up with network interfaces)).

> Anyway. Could someone tell me whether it is possible or not?
> Does anyone know a solution for assigning a jail to a trusted network
> through a tunnel without any influence on the base system's networking?

I can use my pptp address from within a jail, of course the tunnel is already
up and visible to the base system. You can also get the "secondary IP address
effect" for your jail using a loopback interface. For example:
ng0 1.2.3.4 <-> 5.6.7.8
lo1 9.10.11.12
9.10.11.12 would also be your jail address, totally unrelated to the tunnel.

I am not sure what you are looking for. Perhaps
you should explain a bit further. Nikos