FreeBSD Installer vs RedHat Linux Fedora Core Installer?

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Wed Jan 3 12:43:51 PST 2007

As a recent BSD initiate, I can say, if you read all the details, and use
the defaults for everything (especially 'A' for label) (except most people
want X-user for the distribution), then everything works great.

Have you looked at PC-BSD?  They seem to want to be more MS-like, but I
found they have next to no documentation, and they break things that are
perfectly doable in regular free-bsd by reading the handbook.  Also pc-bsd
is KDE-centric, and I'm more of a XFCE & Gnome lover.

My overall reaction: What the installer lacks in
"goodness/utility/pick-an-adjective", the handbook more than makes up for,
if you don't mind reading it.  It has answered pretty much all of my
questions.  It's a hell of a resource, and I wish the same existed for MS
(although with Vista, I'm really not planning on using MS anymore anyway).

Steve

On 1/3/07, Bill Moran <wmoran at collaborativefusion.com> wrote:

> > Hello, I used to be on this mailing list several years ago, and have
> > recently rejoined.
> >

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/using-sysinstall.html
> >
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install/main1.png
> >
> >    vs.
> >

> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/install-guide/fc6/en/ch-beginninginstallation.html#sn-booting-from-disc
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/install-guide/fc6/en/figs/bootprompt.png
> >
> > Could I begin a thread (now) about a comparison (and relatively
> > inferiorness) of the following two installers please??  I WOULD run
> > FreeBSD at home instead of Fedora if the installer were more .....erm,
> > """Microsoftly."""
> >
> > Do you among the developer circle hear this kind of thing from time to
> time?
>
> This seems to come up over and over again.  About every other month.
>
> The developers are aware of it.  The general consensus is that "yes, our
> installer could be nicer/prettier/easier/etc"
>
> However, until someone either takes the time to write a better one, or
> foots some cash to get a better one written, or blackmails a developer
> in to doing it or something else, we still have what we have.
>
> I think the biggest problem is that the installer is "good enough" -- so
> nobody is particularly interested in rewriting it until it's not good
> enough any more -- even though it could be better.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Collaborative Fusion Inc.

Steve Franks, KE7BTE