Which version of BIND to use on FreeBSD 6.1?

patrick gibblertron at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 12:41:27 PST 2007

I'm trying to figure out which is the best version of BIND to use on
FreeBSD 6.1? I've always stuck with FreeBSD's base version, and since
upgrading from FreeBSD 4.x to 6.1, that meant moving from BIND 8.3.x
to 9.3.2. I've encountered numerous problems since moving to 9.3.2
which primarily revolve around exponential increases in memory and CPU
usage.

On our BIND 8.3.x setup, we have 750 master domains. Memory usage is
just shy of 70MBs. On our new server with BIND 9.3.2, we have
currently 140 master domains, and memory usage continually grows until
FreeBSD cuts it off. I have discovered the "max-cache-size" option
which allows me set an upper limit, but when the named process hits
that limit, it starts eating up all available CPU cycles. I've seen
some similar reports from other users, but haven't found any real
solutions.

While browsing the ports tree, I found I have my pick of BIND 8.3.x,
8.4.x, and a ports version of 9.3.x (not sure exactly how this differs
from base -- more current?). Our needs are fairly basic -- we have a
few DNS servers, and each are masters and slaves, helping one another
out. We're not using DNSSEC or anything. I'm wondering what other
people are generally using, and which version works best for them?

Thanks,

Patrick