Easier way to install on 3ware 9550 card?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Jan 3 11:35:03 PST 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, John Nielsen wrote:

>> 1) Boot to complete install CD
>> 2) Go into "Fixit" mode (not just the emergency shell)
>> 3) # sysctl kern.module_path="/dist/boot/kernel"
>> 4) # kldload twa
>> 5) # exit
>> 6) proceed with installation
>>
>> This shouldn't be necessary though, since twa is included in GENERIC for
>> both FreeBSD 6.1 and 6.2 (did you say what version you were trying to
>> install?).
>>
>> Now, if your controller is too new to be included in the shipping version
>> of twa then that's another matter. If you have a binary kernel module that
>> uses a different driver name from the vendor you could use the same general
>> approach, but you'd want to configure your network interface and set up
>> your NFS mount prior to step 3, and include the appropriate NFS path in the
>> sysctl command in step 3.

This is the case.  I've emailed the folks in charge so that the new
version of the 3ware drivers can be included in newer versions of FreeBSD.

> Forgot to mention you'd also need to manually copy the vendor driver and
> modify /boot/loader.conf on the newly installed system so it could actually
> boot.. you could easily take care of that from the fixit mode shell after the
> installation, though.

Yup.  In the case of a module name collision, is it safe to rename "my"
module so that subsequent system builds won't overwrite it (i.e. rename if
from twa.ko to twa2.ko) or will that break something?)

-Dan

--

"Station!"

-Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey