sshd break-in attempt

Peter Nyamukusa petern at africaonline.co.zw
Wed Jan 3 04:11:21 PST 2007

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 16:34, Eric wrote:
Hi,

Why don't you use the /etc/rc.firewall, its a good firewall too.

> Len Conrad wrote:
> >> In our 'periodic daily' report/email, (only the list goes on for
> >> hundreds of attempts). Anyhow, long story short; is there not an easy
> >> way to make sshd block or deny hosts temporarily if X number of
> >> invalid login attempts are made within a minute's time?
> >
> > to reduce the brute force attacks + voluminous logging, tell sshd to
> > listen on port other than 22.
> >
> > google for "tcp wrappers sshd" for examples of how to use tcp wrappers
> > in reactive blocking
> >
> > Len
>
> check out the denyhosts port as well. works great

Peter Nyamukusa
Systems Administrator
Africa Online Zimbabwe
Tel:    +263-4-250890
Fax:    +263-4-702203
E-mail: petern at africaonlineco.zw
AIM:   petenya

Africa Online Disclaimer and Confidentiality Note

This e-mail, its attachments and any rights attaching hereto are,
unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the property of
Africa Online Holdings (Mauritius) Limited and/or its subsidiaries
("the Group"). It is confidential and intended for the addressee
only. Should you not be the addressee and have received this e-mail
by mistake, kindly notify the sender, delete this e-mail
immediately and do not disclose or use the same in any manner
whatsoever. Views and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those
of the sender unless clearly stated as those of the Group. The
Group accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss or damages,
however incurred, resulting from the use of this e-mail or its
attachments. The Group does not warrant the integrity of this
e-mail, nor that it is free of errors, viruses, interception or
interference. For more information about Africa Online, please
visit our website at http://www.africaonline.com