portupgrade - skipping -held by user- meaning?

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Tue Jan 2 01:40:29 PST 2007

Thanks from what you say I understand what happens but do not understand the when and whys!!
My pkgtools.conf had entries in it but none made by me. In what circumstances would one choose to "hold" and how come there are "holds" without my knowing anything about it?

This is always one of the difficulties with freebsd .. the what and how questions get answered in the man pages but information that informs judgement upon when the "how" and "what" to-do is best implemented are missing!!

Thanks for your help

David