Linux Compat

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Wed Feb 28 04:32:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 12:49:07PM -0900, Peter A. Giessel wrote:
>
>> On 2007/02/27 12:24, Jerry seems to have typed:
>>> Am I missing something, or is this now just a standard part of
>>> the base?    I rummaged through the Release notes and didn't
>>> see anything mentioned.
>>
>> Did you try the handbook?
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu-lbc-install.html
>
> Maybe I didn't ask my question well.  What I meant to ask is - is this
> a change that I missed somewhere.  I used to get asked during the
> installation process for a yes/no and I did not see it this time.

You are very diplomatic.

Last time I ran sysinstall - installing a new system about a month ago,
in late January 2007 - it *did* ask me the Linux question. This was
probably from the 6.1R CD set.

>   I think that got some runtime libraries installed along with the
> linux_enable="YES" plunked in the rc.conf for me.

Did you run sysinstall after installing a working system, or was this a
new install on bare hardware?

> I am aware that I can do it myself later - say I had said no during
> sysinstall or whatever.

Not everyone bothers to read your entire message throughly. Been there.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]