named not starting on reboot

Karol Kwiatkowski karol.kwiat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 17:30:45 UTC 2007

Noah wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am having troubles with named not starting on boot nor am I am able to
> start it manually.  I thought I have my chrootdir set correctly.
>
> here are my settings in my rc.conf
>
> ----s nip ----
>
> named_enable="YES"
> named_uid="bind"
> named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
> named_flags="-c /etc/namedb/named.conf"
> named_chrootdir="/var/named"
>
> ---- snip---
>

> here are the /var/log/messages error:
>

> Feb 27 09:07:46 access2 named[2058]: /etc/named.conf:6: change directory
> to '/var/named/etc/namedb' failed: file not found
Here is a mistake. Is a 'directory' in /etc/namedb/named.conf set to
'/var/named/etc/namedb'?

"/var/named/etc/namedb" is a global path, named starting in chroot won't
be able to see it. Just change it back to "/etc/namedb".

HTH,

Karol

--
Karol Kwiatkowski   <karol.kwiat at gmail dot com>
OpenPGP 0x06E09309