Day Light Savings time changes on March 11

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Tue Feb 27 13:56:46 UTC 2007

Christian Baer wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:46:08 -0500 DAve wrote:
>
>>> Or am I missing the issue here?
>> Not at all, I am thinking my next staff meeting I am going to propose
>> just that solution.
>
> Now it might be that I think about a few things a little 'differently'
> but as far as I can remember running a Unix box (which one that *only*
> runs a Unix-like OS) on UTC is the usual default and i also recomended
> as such.
>
> I am actually a little surprised that there are whole server-farms out
> there (stimm) running on local time.

An ISP starts out with one mail server and a management server, they
create tools that automate and report on the system. It is all in local
time.

Go forward ten years and now we have 15+ servers, all still using the
same admin framework. When I came on board they did not have the time or
resources to rewrite or change the management system. We still don't,
but we are building out a new one under the radar, 30 minutes here, two
hours there, etc. Meanwhile we have an old system which relies  on local
time. We have local users who do not require a "world view" in their use
of the internet (local office to local office connections, local client
base, local local local) and they want their mail headers and web
reports in local time. So the servers run local time. No more reason
than that.

We will convert them, but it takes and plan, and a reason.

DAve

Veterans?