Outlook With FreeBSD IMAP

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 26 15:14:19 UTC 2007

Steve Bertrand wrote:
>> anyway - outlook doesn't work well anytime, especially with imap.
>> simply don't use it, thunderbird for windows works good with imap.
>
> This is not as feasible as stated. Changing 500 users from Outlook to
> something they have likely never seen is always a nightmare, even if the
> subtleties are small.
>
> Try explaining that to upper management..."uh, we are getting rid of
> your Outlook, as well as everyone elses because our server won't work
> with it. It should only take an hour per user to transfer everything
> over to the new software, and most users will experience data loss
> because not all parts are transferable." In short, it would cost less to
> install Exchange than it would to migrate, train and re-create data for
> that many users.
>
> To the OP...have you checked the log files on the server to check for
> errors? I have numerous Outlook and OE users who use IMAP over SSL, and
> SMTP Auth on port 587 (again with SSL). We do not use SPA. We use
> courier-imap and qmail, and have vpopmail managing the multiple domains.
>
> Almost all of our domains have to use their full email address as
> username. I have seen before however, that sometimes Outlook will try to
> append their domain to the username (eg: user at domain.com\MSdomain or
> something similar) so the problem may rest there.
>
> Depending on what IMAP server you use, the log file may be
> /var/log/maillog. It should give you an idea of where to start looking.
>
> Steve

I honestly do think that MS Outlook complies as well as other IMAP
clients, just like MS and their IE browser >_>...

For example, the University of Washington has the following for their
email client page:
http://www.washington.edu/computing/email/programs.html#configuring ,
and if you note the location of outlook (the bottom) along with the
information "we don't support this", then maybe you get a hunch about
how usable Outlook is with IMAP.

The UW uses uw-imap (whatever the latest version is) because they
develop that mailserver.

I'd look at the directions a bit though, see what's going on, but yes
authentication does work with SSL/TLS, and it works well from what I can
understand. Otherwise other depts (like the one I was working for at the
UW) would complain about not being to use Outlook, unless it was
Exchange related.

-Garrett