PotsgreSQL question (differences for 7.4 ,8.1 and 8.2)

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnisec.de
Fri Feb 23 17:42:27 UTC 2007

Am Freitag, 23. Februar 2007 18:05 schrieb Bill Moran:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm new to PostgreSQL and see that there are 3 versions in the Ports and
> > bsd.mk.ports defaults to 7.4 to resolve pgsql dependencies.
> > I yahood/msnd/googled a lot but couldn't find a comprehensive comparison
> > regarding features/performance. There are severaly MySQL comparisions but
> > that aren't of interest any more since that's what I've been using
> > before.
> >
> > So please can one explain me in short words what the main featrue
> > difference is between 7.4, 8.1, 8.2? (I found out that 7.4 and 8.2 are
> > incompatible regarding php5-pgsql conjunction)
>
> 7.4 is good.  8.1 is better.  8.2 is best.
>
> Feature changes are minimal.  8.2 has significant performance improvements
> over previous version.

Version or versions? I mean, even better than 7.4? I read some tests that
performance of 8.x is in some statements a big regression (runtime 25ms on
7.4 while 8.x needs 1000ms (1s!))

It sounds that you have done some real world and sensible tests, that's why
I'm asking. I don't give too much for synthetic benchmark results, but a
factor of 40 surely would be noticable in real world...

Thanks,

-Harry

--
OmniSEC  -  UNIX und Windows Netzwerke - Sicher
Harald Schmalzbauer