input/output error on hd

Marty Landman martster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 22:19:48 UTC 2007

I wrote about this problem before, still working on recovery. After a power
outage I lost my primary slave hd, a 250MB Maxtor. Got rebooted ok by
editing it out of the fstab i.e.

%cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
#/dev/ad1s1c            /hoss           ufs     rw              2       2
%

It's been explained to me that ad1s1c was an inappropriate name for the
partition on this drive, will change that after fixing this mess.

Here is a problem symptom summary:

%sudo mount /dev/ad1s1c /hoss
mount: /dev/ad1s1c: Input/output error
%sudo mount /dev/ad1s1 /hoss
mount: /dev/ad1s1: Input/output error
%sudo fsck -f /dev/ad1s1
fsck: Could not determine filesystem type
%sudo fsck -f /dev/ad1s1c
fsck: exec fsck_unused for /dev/ad1s1c in /sbin:/usr/sbin: No such file or
directory
%

Have determined from dd's that there's data on here, wonder though if the
power outage caused some permanent damage. Have isolated the errors to
blocks 129 through 144:

%sudo dd if=/dev/ad1s1 of=/tmp/scratch bs=512 count=1 skip=127
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 0.008638 secs (59274 bytes/sec)
%sudo dd if=/dev/ad1s1 of=/tmp/scratch bs=512 count=1 skip=128
dd: /dev/ad1s1: Input/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 1.315347 secs (0 bytes/sec)
... [repeats for skip=129 to skip=142]
%sudo dd if=/dev/ad1s1 of=/tmp/scratch bs=512 count=1 skip=143
dd: /dev/ad1s1: Input/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 1.336348 secs (0 bytes/sec)
%sudo dd if=/dev/ad1s1 of=/tmp/scratch bs=512 count=1 skip=144
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 0.018065 secs (28342 bytes/sec)

So, I need to know what to do next. Have been looking for pertinant
information to learn how to pick apart whatever's keeping my drive for being
mountable and fix manually but either don't know what to look for or haven't
found the right explanation yet.

For instance, is it possible if I somehow 'eliminated' blocks 129 through
144 that the volume would then mount for me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Marty

--
Web Installed Formmail - http://face2interface.com/formINSTal/