em0 invalid checksum on new T60

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Thu Feb 22 05:36:24 UTC 2007

I just got my new ThinkPad T60 and have been installing merrily
away. So far most things have worked fine, though I still have
lots to do and will no doubt have a few more questions.

A big one right off the start, though, is that my Ethernet card
is not working. On boot I get this:

---
em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection Version - 6.2.9> port 0x3000-0x301f mem 0xee000000-0xee01ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci2
em0: The EEPROM Checksum Is Not Valid
em0: Unable to initialize the hardware
device_attach: em0 attach returned 5
---

I Googled for this and saw very few reports of this error; a
post from Dan Langille in 2004 suggested adding
hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1" to /boot/loader.conf,
but this had no effect.

Any other thoughts? The Atheros card was detected and is
working fine, so I have WiFi, but it'll be tough to
function without an Ethernet connection.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower