64-bits platform question

Jeff Palmer questions at totaldiver.net
Wed Feb 21 20:03:10 UTC 2007

At 02:35 PM 2/21/2007, you wrote:
>Hi list, as far as I know Intel 64 architecture (formerly known as
>Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology, or Intel EM64T) enables 64-bit
>computing on desktop when combined with supporting software. If I am
>right, 64-bit computing (on Intel architecture) requires a computer
>system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device
>drivers and applications enabled for Intel EM64T architecture. So I
>bought an ASUS P4P800-VM with a 3.0GHz processor that supports Intel
>EM64T and 1Gb of Infineon PC3200 RAM memory. The system is ok...so
>why I can't install BSD 64 bits with my system ???
>
>Any clues, thanks in advance.

You've given us no indication as to what errors you are getting.  It
appears by the motherboard specs (that I looked up) you probably need
to be trying FreeBSD/amd64.   Feel free to try that (I've noticed a
lot of people misunderstand the i386/amd64/ia64 names, and try to
install ia64 on the wrong hardware) If that doesn't resolve the
issue, please give us something to work with.

P.S.  for the record,  I hate the architecture names amd64/ia64 ;)