Remote access to config FreeBSD server

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Wed Feb 21 01:03:14 UTC 2007

[mailed and posted]

On Feb 20, 2007, at 5:55 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:

> --On Monday, February 19, 2007 19:26:02 -0800 satimis
> <satimis at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I need GUI browser to connect outside World for searching
>> documents and
>> seeking help.  I found elinks not easy to read html website.
>>
> You can't run a GUI browser without running X.

We should clarify for satimis that he only needs to run an X11 server
on the machine he is SSHing from.  The FreeBSD box does not need to
running X11.

Personally, I haven't found a good way to work out the minimal X11
installation needed for building and running clients (like Firefox)
without ending up building and installing (and thus maintaining)
stuff that I don't need (like an X11 server or window managers).  If
I had a better handle on how to examine dependencies, I could
probably do a cleaner installation.

Cheers,

-j