help needed setting up NATIVE ipv6 connection

Arone Silimantia aronesimi at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 17:57:23 UTC 2007

--- Björn König <bjoern.koenig at alpha-tierchen.de>
wrote:

> Add the following line in /etc/rc.conf
>
> ipv6_enable="YES"
>
> This is enough to let FreeBSD configure the
> interface with IPv6
> automatically using router solicitation.

Hmmm...that sounds very nice - just adding that one
line and _nothing else_.  This system is a server
though, so how will that router know to give me the
same IP every time ?

> >> - if not, assuming I just want to assign a single
> ipv6 address to
> >> myself (let's say, ::2, since ::1 is the gateway)
> what is the ifconfig
> >> syntax to add that one ipv6 address to my NIC
> (em0) as an alias that
> >> will not interfere with the ipv4 address that is
> already there ?
>
> ifconfig_fxp4="inet <ipv4>"
> ifconfig_fxp4_alias0="inet <ipv4>"
> ifconfig_fxp4_alias1="inet6 1234:1234:1234::2/64"
> ifconfig_fxp4_alias2="inet6 1234:1234:1234::3/64"

Ok, yes, I think I would like to do it manually like
this.  I notice you do not have a ipv6 default route
statement there - is it not needed ?

Do I need to tell my provider that I am taking the /48
they gave me and using it with a /64 like that, or can
I just stick in the /64 and it will work fine ?

I assume that if I just want to keep things simple I
can just put /48 in place of your /64, right ?

Thanks a lot.