FreeBSD and GNUstep + etoile

Daniel Tourde daniel.tourde at spray.se
Mon Feb 19 18:17:04 UTC 2007

First of all, let me apologize for the previous emails I sent about this
combination on this forum. I was using a webmail and somehow my messages got
truncated. That was kind of frustrating.

This being said, here is how I succeeded to get FreeBSD + GNUstep + etoile
working:

First I compiled the necessary packages:
cd /usr/ports/x11/gnustep-app
make install
make distclean

This might take quiet a while... ;)

Then I added in /etc/csh.cshrc the line:
source /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.csh

and in /etc/profile the line:
. /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

then in ~/.xession:
opentool etoile_system

There was a little hack that I had to do (this should be corrected soon
though), I had to extract from etoile_0+20060917+dfsg.orig.tar.gz the
setup.sh script and run it by hand. This script basically creates links where
they are needed...

And then voila!
startx or just login from xdm, you will get etoile working on a GNUstep based
system...

My first impressions about it:
- It's a 0.1 and it shows. However this is very promising
- Emacs 23 did not work for me
- The GNUstep look and feel is still very present. I did not succeed to change
the theme with Camaelon (I did not try hard though...)

		Daniel