How Do I Surf To My Server?

Drew Jenkins drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 15:26:08 UTC 2007

20----- Original Message ----
From: Kevin Kinsey <kdk at daleco.biz>
To: Drew Jenkins <drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 9:54:28 AM
Subject: Re: How Do I Surf To My Server?

>Will this help?
>
>$ ifconfig vr0
<snip>
>And on a Windows Laptop:
>
>C:\> more c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
<snip>

Yes, that is a start. I added the domain "mercury.com" (a site I never visit) and pointed it to 192.168.1.255, the IP address given from the above. I also updated pound to use that address, and was able to get the pound daemon running. However, I cannot surf to either mercury.com or the IP address. When I run this command:
nmap localhost
I discover that no Web ports are open: neither 80, nor 8080 (Zope), whose daemon is running.
nmap 192.168.1.255
doesn't return any ports, stating it seems the host is down.
nmap 192.168.1.130
the other address returned from your ifconfig command, gives the same ports as above. Please advise.
TIA,
Drew