CUPS+hplip woes; "printmode mismatch with pen, tray, etc."

Anthony Michael Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 21:43:57 UTC 2007

Hello,

Recently CUPS and hplip have been updated and now my HP LaserJet
1160Le is not working. I tried some basic troubleshooting and when my
ideas did not work, I decided to delete the printer, reinstall all
things relating to hplip, and then reinstall the printer.

So, as root, I go to http://localholst:631 and click on "Add Printer".

In the Add Printer window, I do:

Name: HPLaserJet1160Le
Location: Den

and click on "Continue". Now, I am in the "Device for
HPLaserJet1160Le" window. The Device pull-down menu has the option:

HP LaserJet 1160 series USB 00CNG1R02434 HPLIP (HP LaserJet 1160 series)

Naturally, I choose this device and hit continue. Then, I am at the
"Model/Driver for HPLaserJet1160Le" window and choose

Model: HP LaserJet 1160 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)(en)" and click
on "Add Printer" and authenticate myself as root . I am then greeted
with a window that says that the printer was added successfully.

Now, when I am in the "Printers" tab, I click on "Print Test Page",
and it brings me to a window that shows just the printer (and its
information) and right next to the printer name (HPLaserJet1160Le), I
am greeted with the message,

"printmode mismatch with pen, tray, etc."

How do I fix this?

My printer has the following specs as displayed in CUPS:
Location: Den
Make and Model: HP LaserJet 1160 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published
Device URI: hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1160_series?serial=00CNG1R02434

My machine is currently running hplip-1.7.1 and cups-base-1.2.7_2...
I am in the process of updating to 1.2.7_3 and will let you know if
this fixes things.

In "var/log/messages", there are the following lines.
Feb 17 15:35:29 dell kernel: ugen0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1160
series, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
Feb 17 15:40:07 dell kernel: All threads purged from ugen0.1
Feb 17 15:40:07 dell kernel: All threads purged from ugen0.2
Feb 17 15:40:10 dell hpijs: WARNING: printmode mismatch with pen,
tray, etc.
Feb 17 15:40:11 dell kernel: All threads purged from ugen0.1

If I do a...
# grep printmode /var/log/cups/error_log
W [17/Feb/2007:16:10:03 -0500] [Job 9] printmode mismatch with pen,
tray, etc.

It even has this problem with my firewall turned off. I am running
FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE on a Pentium 3. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for your assistance with this.

-Anthony