lpr on KDE

Gary Schenk gwschenk at hbfun.org
Fri Feb 16 00:59:31 UTC 2007

When trying to print from KDE applications, I get the following error:
"/usr/local/bin/lpr: Connection refused" This is on a new install of
6.2-RELEASE. KDE was installed from a package during install. Printing
works fine from the commandline as root and user.

Googling around, one suggested fix was to recompile /usr/ports/x11/kdelibs3
with WITHOUT_CUPS. I ran "make -DWITHOUT_CUPS install" and that went quite
well. I rebooted the machine just to make sure everything restarted. Still
no joy trying to print with KDE.

Any suggestions as to the next step? Would making some sort of link between
/usr/local.bin.lpr and /usr/bin/lpr work?

Gary