VESA mode 132x43

Hanno Krusken lr101fc at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 20:34:12 UTC 2007

> Guillermo Gutierrez wrote:
> > I have compiled VESA support into the kernel and
when I try to set the
> > resolution to 132x43 using vidcontrol, I see the
cursor but that is all.
> No text and the size of the console appears to have
shrunk because it wont
> > scle
> > to th esize of my monitor which can handle a
resolution 1280x1024 at 60.

> > I could really use some help because I would like
to e able to use a
> > resolution higher than 80x60.
> >
> > thanks,

you need some thing like this in your
/etc/rc.conf........
depending of your video-card support

#allscreens_flags="-m on VGA_80x30"
#allscreens_flags="-m on MODE_280"
allscreens_flags="-m on MODE_291"
vesa_load="YES"

your kernel need some thing like this:
I use a radeon, so change it to your card !

device		vga		# VGA video card driver
options		VESA		# VESA support
device		acpi_video	# LCD backlight/brightnes extention
device		drm
device		agp		# support for AGP chipsets
device		sc		# Sytem-Console
device		radeondrm	# ATI Radeon RV100 Mobility LY M6 /
AGP chipset
device		splash		# Splash screen and screen saver
support
options		MAXCONS=9	# Max-No. of virtual terminals
(standard=16)
options		SC_PIXEL_MODE	# raster text mode
VESA_800x600, MODE_280, MODE_291
options		CONSPEED=115200
#options		SC_NORM_ATTR=(FG_WHITE|BG_BLACK)
#options		SC_NORM_REV_ATTR=(FG_BLACK|BG_WHITE)
options		SC_KERNEL_CONS_ATTR=(FG_RED|BG_BLACK)
options		SC_KERNEL_CONS_REV_ATTR=(FG_BLACK|BG_RED)

read every "man"-page around the "vidcontrol" feature,
use my settings only as a sample

good luck
Hanno