Poll: What's the best audio player

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 08:01:27 UTC 2007

On 13/02/07, Chris <racerx at makeworld.com> wrote:
> What is the best audio (MP3/OGG/Etc) to use under Gnome?

I was one of those Gnome-supporters and -lovers, too. Until I recently
came to the conclusion that there isn't this one particularly good
desktop environment. On the contrary, some Apps are good in KDE, while
others just rock in Gnome.
So i compiled KDE from ports.

To answer your question:
- Quod Libet and Rythmbox both had problems with my setup: Older
machine, audio library being mounted via NFS. Both didn't manage to
scan the library fast enough. This is not to say, that both needed
more than 2,5 hours or crashed. Python based players aren't an option
for me, especially when they rescan the entire library on startup.
- xmms and bmp(x) don't behave correctly. They have a window
management on their own. This is just bad, especially when you're on a
tiled WM just as ion3, wmii...
- I like cmus one the command line. Needs a bit to get used to it, but
you'll love it if you love vi.
- Right know I'm using Amarok (yes, the KDE audio player). I like
listening to Podcasts and Internet radio streams, and both are handled
quite nicely.

Christian