Re: Backup using dump and restore from dvd - restore cd loaded to ramrive?

knizek at volny.cz knizek at volny.cz
Mon Feb 12 13:05:00 UTC 2007

----- PŮVODNÍ ZPRÁVA -----
Od: "Joe Holden" <joe at joeholden.co.uk>

> knizek at volny.cz wrote:
> > Hi list!
> >
> > I plan to use a full backup of my working desktop
> > FreeBSD 6.2 STABLE
> > > with:
> >
> > dump -0LuB 100000 -f backup.0,backup.1,backup.2 /
> > >
> <snip>
> >
> > It would be possible to use some linux distro, but
> > support for UFS2 is
> > > required (I recall that MoviX has worked like this
> > - but its purpose
> > > was playing films...).
>

> You will need a live cd, such as FreeSBIE.

Yes, I know. However FreeSBIE mounts its bootable CD as root directory
(/) and then creates few RAM drives for /etc /usr etc. But I need the
CD-ROM drive to read the CDs with backup files...

It is a desktop PC with one hard-drive, one dvd-drive and I do not have
other computers to restore via network.

Is there other way round?

Regards,
Milan