Backup using dump and restore from dvd - restore cd loaded to ram drive?

knizek at volny.cz knizek at volny.cz
Mon Feb 12 10:14:29 UTC 2007

Hi list!

I plan to use a full backup of my working desktop FreeBSD 6.2 STABLE
with:

dump -0LuB 100000 -f backup.0,backup.1,backup.2 /

(before I will check the number of files needed with "dump -S /")
Then gzip the backup.* files separately and burn them to CDs or DVDs.

The restore method will then require to boot from a bootable CD. The
rescue CD system should load itself into RAM drive, so that I can dismount
it and replace it with the CD/DVDs with the backup files.

The rescue CD should provide basic commands and programs like mount*,
newfs, bsdlabel, fdisk, vi, restore, gzip, ...

I have tried the installation CD with FreeBSD 6.2, but its "holographic"
shell does not have the commands needed and the FixIt shell depends
on the CD.

It would be possible to use some linux distro, but support for UFS2 is
required (I recall that MoviX has worked like this - but its purpose
was playing films...).

Any ideas?

Regards,
Milan
http://milan-knizek.net

--
Zbavte se drahého internetu! Připojte levněji. VOLNÝ Internet od
349 Kč.