cvsup tag for ports

Michael bsdquestions at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 23:41:59 UTC 2007

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 02:06:37PM -0800, Michael wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm building a production server and I have what may seem to be a very
>> simple question so I hope it only requires a simple answer.
>>
>> As I've studied the FreeBSD Handbook as well as the man pages for this,
>> it's still not clear to me which tag I should use for a production server.
>>
>> For my sources I always use the security branch for the release we are
>> using so that they stay stable and also plug most of the security issues
>> as they arise and so the sources tag is always RELENG_6_2.
>>
>> For the ports, the default tag is always tag=. which I'm not sure is the
>> best thing for a production server since that's the tab for -CURRENT.
>> On one hand it makes sense to track that branch for ports because that's
>> where fixes would go for applications as they find them, but I'm not
>> convinced this is the best thing for a production server and wonder if I
>> should also use the security branch for the ports.
>>
>> My first question is, does any real security fixes go into the ports
>> when you pull from a security branch?  In other words, do maintainers
>> actually submit fixes to that branch for the ports?
>>
>> I have a similiar question for the docs as well, should we be tracking
>> only the security branch when using cvsup for sources, ports and doc's?
>>

> Neither the ports tree nor the docs tree is branched.  I.e. there is no
> security branch for ports.
> On the other hand you are not required to update installed ports/packages
> just because you update the ports tree.

What do you mean they aren't branched?  Of course they are or they
wouldn't be in cvs and if I changed the tag, it wouldn't do anything
(they wouldn't change on running cvsup), but they do change (ports get
deleted/added/edited.), so I'm not following you here.

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

Thanks,

Michael Lawver