A VERY Strange Question.

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Sat Feb 10 18:34:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:23:49 +0200 Apatewna wrote:

> > Question 3:
> >
> > I have never understood MS licensing scheme.
> How true

> > What does this '5 CALs' by default mean? In order for hundreds of
> domains to
> > be on the (MS) server, doe we need to get hendreds of CALs?

> AFAIK, [5 CAL] means "five client access licenses" and it refers to

As far as I know, there are two types of CALs: per user and per
device. We use the former: diskless stations are booted and are
connected to the application FreeBSD server via XDMCP, those who need
(approx. 10 users) use rdesktop to connect to the windows server while
only one license is used.

> accessing shared resources (folders/printers/active directory
> services). You'll find that windows Xp home allows only five network
> computer to connect to its resources and windows xp pro allows
> ten. This has nothing to do with web serving because simply the
> clients connect and access information anonymously.

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve