[SOLVED] Guidance requested for multimedia conversion

Murray Taylor MTaylor at bytecraft.com.au
Sat Feb 10 05:02:24 UTC 2007

Thanks all who responded --- I now have a working methodology !

I am using mencoder with a ginormous command string, followed by
dvdstyler.

Attempts
tovid / dvdstyler
-- tovid ran clean,
-- dvdstyler didnt like the resultant .mpg file

mencoder / dvdstyler [1]
-- mencoder ran clean
-- dvdstyler happy
-- result was 16:9 format ??
-- Played ok on $69 dvd player
-- Played ok on picky big Sony home theatre system
-- Played ok on laptop PowerDVD player
-- didnt load on small (newer) Sony player

mencoder / dvdstyler [2]
-- mencoder ran clean
-- dvdstyler happy
-- result was 4:3 format >>> fixed command line cut/paste error
-- Played ok on $69 dvd player
-- Played ok on picky big Sony home theatre system
-- Played ok on laptop PowerDVD player
-- didnt load on small (newer) Sony player

mencoder / dvdstyler [3]
-- mencoder ran clean
-- dvdstyler happy >>> added single menu with PLAY button
-- result was 4:3 format
-- Played ok on $69 dvd player
-- Played ok on picky big Sony home theatre system
-- Played ok on laptop PowerDVD player
-- Played ok on small (newer) Sony player

Still to try avidemux2 as I have some small pixelation occurring
in smoe frames and an oddity on the credit roll at the end.
(white text scrolling up a purple background, leaving trails of
small 'blip-marks')

But overall, a satisfactory result. Thank you all.

mjt

ps Greg L, your response wound up in a different folder
here so isnt in this thread, thanks to you also re dvdstyler.

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.