Determining daylight savings changes on BSD

Nicole Harrington drumslayer2 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 02:05:00 UTC 2007

--- Atom Powers <atom.powers at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/2/07, John Nielsen <lists at jnielsen.net> wrote:
> > On Friday 02 February 2007 17:35, Dan Nelson
> wrote:
> > > Upgrading to 5.5 or 6.2 will get you the new
> tables as a side-effect of
> > > the upgrade :)  If you don't want to upgrade,
> just install the
> > > misc/zoneinfo port and rerun tzsetup.
> >
> > The last bit (rerunning tzsetup(8)) is good advice
> for anyone who hasn't run
> > it in a while. Upgrading from earlier versions of
> FreeBSD will install the
> > new tzdata files but it will not touch
> /etc/localtime.
> >

> That's great. Um, how can I run tzsetup
> non-interactively? It's going
> to be a pain updating all my systems if I have to
> walk through the
> menu on every one; and the man page didn't help at
> all.

 It's not what I would call, non interactive, or even
elegant, but below  is what I have done on some
systems. On others, I just installed a copy of the
newly created /etc/localtime file.

 Maybe it will be useful to you.
----

cd /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
fetch ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata2007a.tar.gz
tar -zxvf tzdata2007a.tar.gz
make
make install

cp -f /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles
/etc/localtime
chmod 444 /etc/localtime

--------

 Nicole

--
The significant problems we face cannot be solved by
the same level of thinking that created them