Performance problems with routing (was Re: (no subject))

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Fri Feb 9 12:45:40 UTC 2007

> Are there some utils to release Inact memory, which can be viewed by
> top-utility? In time all Free Memory flows to Inact Memory, and we
> have real problem with performance of our router. After I reboot
> server, problem disapears for one or two days. I REALLY need any way
> to clean up router's memory and move it from Inact to Free state
> without rebooting..

Use a descriptive subject in your emails.

You're chasing shadows.  Unused memory is _supposed_ to end up in
the inactive state.  There is no way to "free" it, and there shouldn't
be.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/misc.html#TOP-FREEMEM

If you're having problems with routing performance, please post some
details relevant to the problem.  You should start with such basics as
the version of FreeBSD that you're using, and move into cut/pasting the
output of ifconfig, netstat -rn, and any nat or packet filtering
configuration.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.