Guidance requested for multimedia conversion

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 9 02:52:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 01:15:21 +0000
dgmm <freebsd01 at dgmm.net> wrote:

> On Friday 09 February 2007 00:04, Murray Taylor wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Being much more a system programmer / database person
> > than a multi media type I am requesting a 'recipe' from
> > a video media expert.
> >
> > I need to convert an 8 minute .avi file into a basic dvd.
> > No menus or anything, just a dumb as possible 'load it, press play'
> > disk. As long as I can do that, and also get the dvd player to
> > do loop play, its fine.
> >
> > I have a dvd burner, have used it via command line and k3b to
> > burn data Cds and data DVDs.
> >
> > I am quite happy to load a list of ports to do the conversion,
> > layout and burning for the video DVD... I just need a list of
> > ports to load, and the sequence of command lines to execute.
> >
> > FreeBSD 5.4 Release,  KDE 3.5.4.
> > Ports tree within 1 week of current, normally use portmanager
> > for port installs, but direct make is ok too.
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > Murray T
>
> Start here...
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#menc-feat-vcd-dvd
>
> In particular, scroll down to section 14.8.5 for some "recipes" to create the
> DVD compatible video then you'll want multimedia/dvdauthor to create the disc
> image and finally sysutils/dvd+rw-tools for burning
>
> You might want to look at multimedia/dvdstyler as a GUI front end to dvdauthor
> and, depending on your set-up/dvd writer it might do the burning from the GUI
> too.
>
> It's not exactly point'n'shoot but all you need should be there.

The multimedia/avidemux2 is a bit easier to use (IMO) than mencoder
since its a gui-type video editor/converter that can produce the mpeg2
program streams from avi files for use with dvdstyler.  Its really
quite nice with lots of intuitive features.

The ease in converting with any of the utilities will depend largely
on the source material.

Randy