toggle between english and french (how?)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Feb 8 11:17:26 UTC 2007

On 2007-02-08 00:38, Peter <pmatulis at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Le Mercredi 7 F?vrier 2007 16:03, Giorgos Keramidas a ?crit :
>>> Yes, I tried
>>>
>>> fr.iso.acc.kbd
>>> fr.iso.kbd
>>> fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd
>>>
>>> Maybe I need to inform FreeBSD about the layout of my keyboard.
>>> All I get are beeps when I hit the special French accent keys.
>>
>> This usually means that you are typing 8-bit (i.e. French) characters
>> at a shell prompt, but you have not set or configured any locale
>> environment yet, or you have the wrong locale environment.
>>
>> If this is true, and you are hearing the beeps when typing at a shell
>> prompt, then please tell us which shell you are using and what you
>> see by typing:
>>
>>     % locale
>
> This is what I get:
>
> LANG=
> LC_CTYPE="C"
> LC_COLLATE="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_ALL=

Right.  You haven't set any LANG or LC_xxx environment variables.

Try using one of the French locales, and set the following in your shell
startup scripts:

    LANG='C'
    LC_COLLATE='fr_CA.ISO8859-1'
    LC_CTYPE='fr_CA.ISO8859-1'

If you are using GNU bash, you can set in your `.bashrc' file:

    export LANG='C'
    export LC_COLLATE='fr_CA.ISO8859-1'
    export LC_CTYPE='fr_CA.ISO8859-1'

If you are using tcsh, the commands for `.cshrc' are slightly different:

    setenv LANG 'C'
    setenv LC_COLLATE 'fr_CA.ISO8859-1'
    setenv LC_CTYPE 'fr_CA.ISO8859-1'