Low-cost dedicated FreeBSD server or non-jail VPS?

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Thu Feb 8 03:29:53 UTC 2007

Kelly Jones wrote:
> I'm looking to rent a low-cost FreeBSD dedicated server or VPS with
> root access. For a VPS, I realize this is really psuedo-root access.
>
> I once rented a VPS on a FreeBSD box that was split into virtual boxes
> using "jail", but wasn't happy with it. So, if it's not a dedicated
> box, I'm looking for something like Virtuozzo, Xen, vmware running
> FreeBSD as a guest OS, etc.
>
> The box doesn't have to be super-fast or have lots of disk space: just
> looking for something that will let me play around with ports, pf, run
> experiments, etc
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a box at sonic.net - their standard co-lo box is Linux but if you
ask they will install FreeBSD for you on the understanding that they
won't support OS problems.   See https://tools.sonic.net/signup/1u/   -
the nice thing about sonic is you get to talk to real people if you have
support issues - their CEO even answers questions in the sonic.* newsgroups.

John
I don't work for them - I'm just a happy customer