Portupgrade out of swap - corrupt pkg info...

Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD PETER.HARRISON at DWP.GSI.GOV.UK
Wed Feb 7 13:11:39 UTC 2007

OK thanks for this. I've fiddled around and it seems to be working alright now. Thanks for this.

>> ~ What might have caused my machine to run out of swap? It
>was running X and twm with 1 xterm open. For hardware it has
>256MB RAM and a 470MB swap partition. I've not had this problem before.
>
>Ouch.. you should actually have more swap than that
>(2*(Physical RAM amount) = 512MB swap would be a better idea
>in the future).
>
>As for running out of swap, what are your make options for
>ruby? Having the ruby doc (or whatever it was) option selected
>ate up a lot of memory on machines a few months back; having
>this option deselected and rebuilding ruby fixes the memory bloat.
>
>make config in the lang/ruby* ports directory will yield the
>desired result here.

I take your point over the amount of swap - and I guess 256 RAM is getting a little light for a desktop/laptop these days.

I don't recall portupgrade touching ruby - but I'll check what options I have enabled for it.

>-Garrett

Thanks,

Peter Harrison

>PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE MESSAGE WAS RECEIVED FROM THE INTERNET.
>On entering the GSI, this email was scanned for viruses by the
>Government Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service
>supplied exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with
>MessageLabs.
>In case of problems, please call your organisational IT Helpdesk.
>The MessageLabs Anti Virus Service is the first managed
>service to achieve the CSIA Claims Tested Mark (CCTM
>Certificate Number 2006/04/0007), the UK Government quality
>mark initiative for information security products and
>services.  For more information about this please visit
www.cctmark.gov.uk

This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use by the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
action taken in reliance of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Department
for Work and Pensions.
If you have received this transmission in error, please use the reply function to tell us
and then permanently delete what you have received.
Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance
with our policy on the use of electronic communications.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by Government Secure Intranet (GSi)  virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.
On leaving the GSI this email was certified virus free.