rc.conf ...need help

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 23:39:37 UTC 2007

On 06/02/07, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 03:58:06PM -0500, Don Munyak wrote:
>
> > How can I edit rc.conf while in single user mode. I've tried vi & ee,
> > but system doesn't recognize either.
>
> It is probably not in your limited path in single user or not
> in a mounted partition.
>
> You may have to mount the partition containing 'vi', probably /usr.
>
> While in single user, do:
>   fsck -p
>   mount -u /
>   mount -a
>   swapon -a
>
> Then you should be able to use vi as:
>
>   /usr/bin/vi /etc/rc.conf
>
> using the full path for vi skips over putting it in your path.
> Make your fix and reboot.

knowing ed (red or sed) can be a useful skill,
as it resides in /bin, thus being useful in other
situations (/usr buggered (which I know never
hap'ns in real life))

although dealing with / and " in sed can be a bit
of a chore, practise will not hurt

and if it is nothing terrifically important that
was mauled (syslogd can be started from the
command line, for instance) ^D in single user
mode will go ahead and finish the boot to multi-
user