Portupgrade out of swap - corrupt pkg info...

Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD PETER.HARRISON at DWP.GSI.GOV.UK
Tue Feb 6 17:31:43 UTC 2007

I updated the ports on my laptop last night ran:

portsnap fetch update

followed by:

portupgrade -arR

This ran normally until it hit vim-gtk2. It built fine but whilst it was registering the installation became unresponsive.

Hard rebooted, and found that in /var/log/messages it referred to being out of swap (I don't have the exact message to hand).

pkg_info did not show vim as installed, so when portupgrade finished a cd'd to /usr/ports/editors/vim and ran make install clean. This installed without error.

However, now when I run pkg_info it reports that the pkg info for vim-gtk2 is corrupt.

Could anyone help with 2 questions:

~ How do I fix the package database entry for vim?

~ What might have caused my machine to run out of swap? It was running X and twm with 1 xterm open. For hardware it has 256MB RAM and a 470MB swap partition. I've not had this problem before.

This is on 6-STABLE from about 2 weeks ago.

Apologies for any iffy formatting - this is being sent from my office account via MS Outlook.

TIA

Peter Harrison

This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use by the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
action taken in reliance of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Department
for Work and Pensions.
If you have received this transmission in error, please use the reply function to tell us
and then permanently delete what you have received.
Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance
with our policy on the use of electronic communications.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by Government Secure Intranet (GSi)  virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.
On leaving the GSI this email was certified virus free.
The MessageLabs Anti Virus Service is the first managed service to achieve the CSIA Claims Tested Mark (CCTM Certificate Number 2006/04/0007), the UK Government quality mark initiative for information security products and services.  For more information about this please visit www.cctmark.gov.uk