"Drop in" replacement for imap-UW?

Joe in MPLS joe at gracenpeace.net
Mon Dec 31 12:08:40 PST 2007

I've been running imap-UW on FreeBSD 6.x STABLE for a while. Clients are
mostly Thunderbird, TREOs and Horde (running on the same box.

I'm having issues when multiple clients try to access the same user's
mailbox. Typically the TREO will do a scheduled check for new mail while
Thunderbird has it already open. Research indicates that this is a
limitation of the UW imapd implementation.

Can anyone recommend a good and secure imapd implementation that won't
require a ton of reconfiguration? Mostly I'd like the replacement to be
able to use all the existing end-user imap folders and mail spools. All
users have accounts and mail spools on the box. There's no virtual users
or database authentication backends to deal with.

        TIA     ...jgm