Imaging to new system

Darren Spruell phatbuckett at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 10:10:34 PST 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 10:54 AM, Robert Fitzpatrick <lists at webtent.net> wrote:
> I have a server running 5.4-RELEASE using RAID-5 on an Intel RAID
> controller that I need to move to faster RAID. Is it possible to image
> or some other way to save the current install and restore after setting
> up the RAID or should I just plan to reinstall everything?

Running dump(8) and restore(8) would allow you to back up and restore
your system.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=dump
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=restore

This is typically used with tape, although you can dump to disk as well.

If your data/system is critical, you ought to already have some backup
strategy you could restore the system from to your new RAID. If not,
you might put one in place (RAID != backups).

--
Darren Spruell
phatbuckett at gmail.com