Changing boot partition - ACCOMPLISHED, now INIT problem :(

Nuno Gonçalves nuno at fccn.pt
Fri Dec 28 03:55:25 PST 2007

Hi all,
Thanks on all your hints; it helped me comprehending my problem.
I accomplished the restore of a wrecked machine only with a .tar backup from
it.

The recipe is a little tricky. I installed a minimum FreeBSD on a new
machine, during sysintall I created 2 slices (one ad1s1 to the minimum SO
and swap and another slice ad1s2 to restore the backup) I set the second
slice as bootable (option S in FDISK). Then I created the partitions on the
first slice and installed the minimum SO (ad1s1a and ad1s1b for swap). After
booting to it with F1 I created the new file system with newfs and mounted
in rw mode (ad1s2a). Restored the tar backup to it and changed the FSTAB to
the new reality (used the initial swap created on the minimum SO ad1s1b and
the new partition as / ad1s2a ). Rebooted and voila it was booting the old
FreeBSD SO.

Still after probing the hardware (CDROM, FXP0, etc ....) It showed me this
repeated error:

23:29:19 init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port ...
23:29:19 init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port ...
23:29:19 init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port ...
23:29:19 init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port ...
23:29:19 init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port ...
23:29:19 init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port ...

I though it was something related with the console, so I rebooted to the
initial SO with F1, mounted the partition o see /boot and renamed
boot.config
Did another reboot and booted to F2 but the problem persists.
Do you guys have any clue what might this be and how can I solve it? Is it
something related with kernel stuff?
I have access to the contents of it if I boot through the minimum SO (F1)

Thanks for helping this newbie
Best regards to you all

Nuno