Blocking undesirable domains using BIND

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Dec 27 16:16:24 PST 2007

Maxim Khitrov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently setting up a new firewall for my home network using
> FreeBSD 7. The firewall will also act as our local name server
> (authoritative for the local domain, and caching for everything else).
> One of the things I'd like to do with it is use BIND to block various
> undesirable domains (ad servers, malicious sites, etc.). The plan is
> to have a separate BIND config file which is included in the main one.

Just a question, and I'm not trying to cast doubt on your plan; I'm
curious why using BIND for this purpose instead of a proxy, which is
a more typical application as I understand it?

Again, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise or say that using
BIND is a bad idea.  It's just that I'm curious because we use
Squid for this sort of thing, and I was wondering why BIND instead?

Kevin Kinsey

--
QOTD:
	A child of 5 could understand this! Fetch me a child of 5.