usb/umass, devfs: this sucks

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Dec 26 15:33:20 PST 2007

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On December 26, 2007 3:45:15 PM -0700 Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It seems like we need another kind of storage, something that is known
>> to be only mostly data-safe.  If the system would gracefully handle
>> unexpected media removals, that would be nice.  Not everything is a
>> trustworthy hard drive.
>>
>> The user ought to be able to tell the system "Yes, da0s1 is an msdos
>> filesystem which I'm going to be yanking out at unexpected times.  Yes,
>> I know it might lose some data, but at least figure things out and don't
>> panic."
>>

> I absolutely agree with this.  At a minimum it should be possible to forcibly
> umount a device that you removed after forgetting to umount it first.  If I
> had the first clue about the code, I'd submit a patch.

The code is likely... er, non-trivial, and might reach into some deep
places.  Maybe a project the FreeBSD Foundation would sponsor?

(Seems like there was something about bounty projects being ungood, but
maybe I have that wrong.  If not, I think a lot of us would be willing
to contribute funds to a "Don't Panic: Removable Media" project.)