UTF-8 in Opera/FreeBSD

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc
Tue Dec 25 15:48:38 PST 2007

Martin Tournoij wrote:
> The problem is that the font you're using doesn't support the
> character(s) you want to type.
> You'll have to change the font in the opera preferences dialog, I
> think the bitstream family supports most UTF-8 fonts.
>
> This site may be useful in testing:
> http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/uniview/

It doesn't seem to be a font problem. The letters in question (æøå)
are visible. I read pages in my own native language on a daily
basis, and have no problem viewing these letters.

However, if I either enter one of them in the search box built-in
Opera, or enter text into input fields on webpages, square boxes
appear instead of the letter entered. Also if I enter these letter
in eg. a blog comment, other people will read the squares.

	Svein Halvor