BIND9 won't start

QADMOS qadmos at free.fr
Sun Dec 23 14:45:18 PST 2007

Gelsema, P (Patrick) a écrit :
> On Sun, December 23, 2007 23:04, QADMOS wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Horne a écrit :

>>> do you get same problem with:
>>>
>>> /etc/rc.d/named start
>>>
>>> ?
>>>

>> Well i've also tried that actually and when i do that :
>> 1/ nothing is logged
>> 2/ nothing is launched either
>>

> Do you have the following in rc.conf?
>
> hulk# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep named
> named_enable="YES"
>
> To me it seems your problem lies in the fact that named is not starting,
> so rndc can not control anything.
>
> Rgds,
>
> Patrick
>

>> there's just no error message despite that the named is not running
>> (checked with ps waux | grep named )

Well Patrick i followed your suggestion and rebooted (it didn't do much
after just editing rc.conf) the box and now "/etc/rc.d/named start"
works fine annd named is running, 'rndc' still has the same problem
though (???)

I'm a bit befuddled though, because i don't understand why it's
necessary to use the named_enable directive to have named running ? I
understand this is necessary if you want the daemon to run at boot time
but why is this necessary if you want to run it manually once the box is
on ?

In any case thx a lot for your help :)