Updating ports

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sat Dec 22 16:47:57 PST 2007

--On December 23, 2007 1:19:21 AM +0100 Peter Schuller
<peter.schuller at infidyne.com> wrote:

> In particular, given a re-build (e.g. upgraded) port X, all ports
> depending on  X will also be re-built regardless of whether that is
> required according to  the dependency relation. This is handled in such
> a way that it is not  dependent on the entire procedure completing in
> one session, as you are with  portupgrade (meaning it's restartable, as
> mentioned above).

I don't understand this statement.  I have killed portupgrade on numerous
occasions, both locally and remotely, and have never had a problem
restarting later.  If you mean portupgrade doesn't restart where it left
off, then yes, that's true, but only in the sense that it goes through all
the ports checking for upgrades before returning to the build you left off
at.

> In practice, I find this is the most useful upgrading method. I have
> never  been able to use portupgrade for more than a week or two on a
> real machine  without running into issues (stale dependencies, failed
> builds due to weak  dependency information, etc).

I *really* don't understand this.  I can count on one hand the number of
times that I've run into dependency problems with portupgrade, and all of
those were addressed in /usr/port/UPDATING or by simply deinstalling and
reinstalling the port in question.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas