How to install with journaled /?

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 22 03:46:16 PST 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 11:07:29AM +0100, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my problem is that I cannot really turn on gjournal for existing
> filesystems, just only if the journal is placed onto another partition. So,
> how can I make a journaled root filesystem? I have to do the partitioning
> manually, since sysinstall does not support that. But how can I do that
> easily? The livefs CD does not work, there is no gjournal utility there.
> I'd give FreeSBIE or Frenzy a try, but their existing releases are based on
> 6.2, not 7.0, thus no gjournal there. Do you have any ideas? How did you
> solve such a problem?

I'd try the following:

1. 2 PC's: boot one from another using PXE and NFS
2. 2 HDD's: install on one, partition the other as needed and
   dump-restore data to it
3. Swap hack: install the root stuff in the swap slice, then
   enable gjournal on the first one and dump-restore data. Then
   bsdlabel swap as swap.

I can probably come up with more :-)