which cputype for Althon 64 X2 Dual Core

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Dec 21 16:45:58 PST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007, at 4:33 PM, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> I'm building a new server with 7.0 BETA4 (it will track stable) with
> the following CPU
>
> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2600.02-MHz K8-
> class CPU)
[ ... ]

> What optimizations should I make in make.conf?

A reasonable starting point is no special optimizations, and simply
disable debug options like WITNESS, INVARIANTS, etc.

If you plan to go beyond that, you'll need to start by doing some
benchmarks before and after setting something like the CPU
architecture that the compiler should tune for, and see whether you
actually get any significant differences.

> The example make.conf says
>
>  AMD64 architecture: opteron, athlon64, nocona, prescott, core2
>
> But I don't know whether althon64 or core2 would be the safest and
> most appropriate.
>
> Also GENERIC for amd64 lists
>
>    cpu    HAMMER
>
> is that the best (only) choice?

Yes, as far as AMD64 code goes.  You could always switch down to
running in 32-bit mode, though.

--
-Chuck