Redirecting STDOUT

Girish Venkatachalam girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 06:58:00 PST 2007

On 14:49:28 Dec 21, jhall at vandaliamo.net wrote:
> I am in the process of debugging a script and I would like to have the
> output of stdout redirected to a file.
>
> After reading about redirection on the Internet, I was under the
> impression the following would redirect stdout to a file, but I cannot
> seem to get it to work.
>
> tar -cvzf root.tgz /root > /dev/null 2>/home/jay/tarlog
>
> I'm sure it is something simple I am doing wrong, but I am not seeing it.

Yes. Very simple indeed.

This is highly shell dependent but on ksh, this command works.

$ tar zcvf root.tgz /root >/home/jay/tarlog 2>/dev/null

The above command will redirect stderr (fdes 2) to the bit bucket and
stdout to /home/jay/tarlog.

If you wish to redirect both stderr and stdout to a single file, you can
try this command.

$ tar zcvf root.tgz /root >/home/jay/tarlog 2>&1

-Girish